The third intake of pyd skipper apprentices will be in February 2007.
This innovative scheme is designed to give qualified Yachtmasters the opportunity to build their experience with ten thousand miles of varied sailing over a six month period.
Apprentices sail as Mates to experienced pyd skippers on a variety of delivery trips and will during their placements see a range of differing boats, as well as visiting new and unfamiliar ports. Candidates will also make at least one passage which will enable them to take qualifying sights for the Ocean Yachtmaster exam.
In summary on completion of the scheme apprentices will have:
· Covered 10,000 nautical miles in a range of locations and sailing conditions
· Completed an ocean qualifying passage with the opportunity to fulfil the seagoing requirements for the RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate
· Planned, victualled and executed (with support) an ocean qualifying passage
· Gained experience as a volunteer crew aboard yachts of different sizes and complexity
· Sailed with several Skippers experiencing different leadership methods allowing the development of an individual’s own management style.
· Developed skills to promote crew management, discipline and care
· Understood and devised watch keeping routines taking into account crew numbers and skill level
· Gained an understanding of the legal documentation requirements for vessels at sea
· Handled entry and exit procedures in foreign ports
If you are a qualified Yachtmaster committed to developing your career and interested in participating please email Jan Younger (email@example.com), who is responsible for managing this intake.